What you would typically see:
1. Launch Microsoft Word (or Excel, Powerpoint, etc)
2. Click the File menu
3. Choose Options
4. Choose Trust Center>Trust Center Settings
5. Choose Protected View>Unselect all the check-boxes
5. Click on OK until you're done.
6. Repeat steps 2 & 3 again
7. Choose Trusted Locations>Check the box for Allow Trusted Locations on my network
8. Click Add new location
9. Check Subfolders of this location are also trusted and click on Browse
10. Find & select folders where you would normally open downloaded files. some common ones include, Documents folder, Desktop, Downloads folder or
C:\Users\john.doe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files (replace john.doe with your profile information)
11. Click OK when done.
12. Repeat steps 8 to 10 to add additional locations where you would normally open word files.